Most weekend mornings I’m in the mood for a sweeter, richer breakfast, but this morning I was feeling like a savory and protein-eous dish! Inspired by The Kitchn‘s fried egg and kale on toast recipe, and wanting to use up the last of our kale in the fridge, I put together this quick meal. One of my favorite side dishes is Israeli couscous and spinach, so I knew that the kale would be delicious! Click read more to see the recipe.
Ingredients (serves one):
- 1/4 cup of Israeli couscous
- 1 cup of water or chicken stock
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 large leaf of kale (roughly chopped and rinsed)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place 1 cup water (or chicken stock) in a small saucepan, and heat on high, until it boils.
- While you wait for the water to boil, put the olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat, and once the oil is heated fry the egg and kale and put aside.
- Cook the couscous according to instructions on its package. If there is leftover liquid after cooking the couscous, strain it before serving.
- Serve the couscous in a bowl, and top with kale then your fried egg. Enjoy with some salt and pepper on top!
A breakfast of champions. Enjoy!