Is it possible to live in a more interesting environment and choose work that frees you up to pursue all your passions? Absolutely.
If you don’t like where you live and your job, here’s a life-changing suggestion: become a digital nomad and move to Houston.
Becoming a digital nomad will give you the freedom to earn as much as you like without the constraints of a 9-to-5 job, and moving to Houston will provide you the freedom to enjoy all the advantages of living in the big city.
Let’s take a look at how to make this happen.
What Is a Digital Nomad?
First, let’s look at what a digital nomad is. A digital nomad someone who uses telecommunications technologies to earn a living and live like a nomad. As a modern nomad, you might work from home, coffee shops, or public libraries in a city or country of your choice.
This lifestyle choice offers you plenty of freedom — freedom to work from any location, freedom to work for anyone, and freedom to move to a new location whenever you decide.
You could earn a good living as a digital marketer, freelance writer, website builder, graphic designer, or blogger. You could also be a digital nomad with fewer skill sets. For instance, you could tutor online with basic skills in using Skype or slightly more advanced skills with Zoom.
Before discussing why you should think about becoming a digital nomad and consider Houston a good place to move, let’s clear something up: moving doesn’t have to be a hassle.
When you think of moving, you probably imagine how much effort it takes to pack everything in your old home and unpack it all in your new home. In fact, packing a home is such a hassle, most people find a perfectly reasonable excuse not to move at all.
But it’s possible to simplify the process down to just packing up your clothes and a few personal things. You can move into beautifully furnished apartments in Houston in less than a week.
Although your fully furnished apartment will be tastefully furnished in vibrant hues, you can, of course, introduce your own nuanced color palette by making small tweaks, perhaps by adding rugs, wall décor, or curtains that complement the space.
Why Houston Is a Great Place
Houston is diverse and affordable, and there’s always plenty to do here.
- If you want to pursue a degree, then the University of Texas will be an excellent place to earn it.
- If you’re a foodie, then you can eat at restaurants that serve classic American cuisine, Italian cuisine, and Thai cuisine, to name but a few.
- If you have a specialized diet, it’s easy to shop for diets like keto, vegetarian, vegan, and so on.
- If you’re into staying fit and healthy, you have options like weightlifting, running, swimming, CrossFit, Pilates, or yoga. Since boutique fitness flourishes in Houston, you’ll find gyms or studios like Lifetime Fitness, YogaWorks, Equinox, or SoulCycle.
- If you’re just looking for cultural events, Houston has 19 museums within a radius of 12 blocks. There’s also the Theater District, the Galleria (a mall with attractions), and the Underground Tunnel Tour.
- If you have kids, you can take them to Space Center Houston, the Downtown Aquarium, the Houston Zoo, and the Children’s Museum.
- If you’re into sports and athletics, Houston has plenty of professional teams: the Houston Rockets play NBA basketball; NFL teams play the Houston Texans at the NRG stadium; and you can catch fantastic baseball games with MLB teams like the Houston Astros (who won the world series in 2017) at Minute Maid Park. There are also plenty of leagues available if you rather be playing than watching.
- If you’re into the great outdoors, you could explore Hermann Park, Memorial Park, Discovery Green, and Levy Park.
To sum up, becoming a digital nomad and moving to Houston may be a life-changing experience. Houstonians are among the most neighborly people you will ever find anywhere. You’ll make plenty of friends in no time.